Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Public Domain Book: Mythical Monsters


While writing the entry for Dragons in the Frankenguide I found a reference to a book named "Mythical Monsters" by Charles Gould. The book is actually from 1886 and is, therefore, released to public domain. You can find it in the Open Library Website in several different formats (my favourite being Djvu, of course).

I have not had the time to read it yet, although I will, but it seems to be a very interesting account of fantasy creatures. Although the author seems to really believe in some of those accounts, which can be inferred by a chapter with the bizarre title "The Deluge not a Myth", the book has a lot of information and cites many sources.

There are actually only four creatures with chapters dedicated for them in the book: the dragon (one chapter for the European dragon, one for the Chinese and one for the Japanese), the sea monster and the Chinese phoenix.

When I finish the book, I'll post a review here. Right now, I just want to leave it registered. It's not always that you can find an interesting monster manual for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...